West Gippsland Healthcare Group provides acute medical and surgical, obstetric, emergency, community and aged care services, primarily in the Shire of Baw Baw, approximately 100 kms east of Melbourne.
West Gippsland Healthcare Group comprises a number of sites. They are Baw Baw Health and Community Care Centre, Community Services Centres in Warragul and Trafalgar, Cooinda Lodge Aged Care Residence, Rawson Community Health Centre, Andrews House Aged Care Residence, Warragul Linen Service and West Gippsland Hospital.
West Gippsland Healthcare Group's history dates back to 1888 when the community established a hospital to service the area between Melbourne and Sale. A member of an early settler family, Mary Sargeant, donated the land on which West Gippsland Hospital, the main campus of the Group, now stands.
Affectionately known by staff and young patients as Dorothy the Dino, WGH staff recently farewelled their beloved dinosaur as she was loaded onto the back of a truck to her new home, the Warragul and District Special School.
WGHG’s Cooinda Lodge aged care residence recently received a contribution of $250,000 from the DHHS towards the refurbishment of the communal living and zone areas within the residence.
Full accreditation status for WGHG
WGHG currently has the following accreditation ratings:
• Full Aged Care accreditation rating with full compliance to all 44 criteria for Andrews House and Cooinda Lodge
• Full accreditation for our hospital and community services under EQuIPNational
• Full accreditation meeting 3 standards and 18 expected outcomes for our Home and Community Care Services (HACC) under the Community Care Common Standards
• Warragul Linen Service full accreditation ISO 9001 Quality Management System
• Community services registration under the Children, Youth and Families Act, 2005
• Full food safety certification
• Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative Accreditation
To improve the health and wellbeing of our community.
West Gippsland Healthcare Group is committed to the provision of high quality, integrated health care that meets the changing needs of individuals and our community.
We are the major provider of obstetric services in Gippsland. Our reputation for offering exemplary midwifery care has seen us achieve recording breaking birth rates over the past years. 1020 babies were born in 2012/13, 960 in 2013/14 and 974 in 2014/15.
To enquire about our midwifery services, please call our friendly team on 5623 0751.